The funding of pioneering basic research is one of the priorities of the European Union. To this end, the European Research Council (ERC) has been established. To receive support, research projects must have a high potential for innovation. 8 ERC grants have already been awarded to researchers from the Faculty of Life Sciences since 2009.
ERC Advanced Grants
- TACK Superphylum and Lokiarchaeota Evolution – Dissecting the Ecology and Evolution of Archaea to Elucidate the Prokaryote to Eukaryote Transition (2016-2021) PI: Christa Schleper (Department of Ecogenomics and Systems Biology). press release
- NITRICARE - Nitrification Reloaded – a Single Cell Approach (2012-2017) PI: Michael Wagner (Department of Microbiology and Ecosystem Science). press release
- MEDEA - Microbial Ecology of the Deep Atlantic pelagic realm (2011-2016) PI: Gerhard Herndl (Department of Limnology and Bio-Oceanography). press release
- SOMACCA - The Syntax of the Mind: A Comparative Computational Approach (2009-2014) PI: Tecumseh Fitch (Department of Cognitive Biology).
ERC Starting Grants
- FUNKEYGUT - Illuminating Functional Networks and Keystone Species in the Gut (not yet started) PI: David Berry (Department of Microbiology and Ecosystem Science). press release
- UNICODE - Evolution and Impact of Heterochromatin on a Young Drosophila Y chromosome ( 2016-2021) PI: Qi Zhou (Department of Molecular Evolution and Development). press release
- DORMANTMICROBES - Revealing the function of dormant soil microorganisms and the cues for their awakening (2015-2019) PI: Dagmar Woebken (Department of Microbiology and Ecosystem Science). press release
- EVOCHLAMY - The Evolution of the Chlamydiae - an Experimental Approach (2012-2016) PI: Matthias Horn (Department of Microbiology and Ecosystem Science). press release